Restaurant Social Media Search

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Goodbye 2000 -2009 decade

It hardly seems that 10 years has passed since I hosted 25 people at a dinner party (well wine and we also had food) to say hello to a promising new millennium. We ate and drank and toasted to our good fortune, to our vested stock options and the burgeoning Internet gold mine. Living and working in Silicon Valley then was an insiders' game. It was regular cocktail chatter. We discussed how much each of us was making and where we were investing our option cash. It was a heady time. I miss those arrogant, easy money days where wealth was created from good timing, a lot of sweat and luck. We all knew it wouldn't last. That was obviously then. Before meltdowns, bubbles, tragedy, not one but two recessions and lost wealth. I often wonder how many of my old cocktail party friends still have any money?

The verb named Google and the micro-blog named Twitter - the new kid on the block that may implode on its own weight - are welcoming signs of another fast to market caution. Twitter went mainstream in February after simmering since 2006. It's 2010 and they still haven't a clue on how to monetize. I guess I am just old school when it comes to business. While free can be a good model, it doesn't always sustain unless there is utility and technology there to sustain a high influence rating.

I worry about Twitter. Not that I am losing sleep over their success or future. I just worry that so many restaurants seem to think it's get followers, spam them, give away coupons and increase my business. This is an incomplete thought with expectations from a naive user. Rushing to use any one-to-many mass communication channels is not a good idea. I just hope restaurant operators use this social media tool as a start to joining the conversation and a way to seed new belief in a changing landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment